Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Alone Time For Mommy and Daddy

It was bound to happen sometime. I mean, we could only avoid it for so long. Yes, my friends, Denver Mom and I have started dating again. No, no, I mean we've started dating each other again. I wasn't sure I was ready for a relationship so soon after becoming a dad, but it turns out that the "marriage contract" I signed was an actual, legal document. So, ready or not,we're kind of an exclusive thing.

It's a weird experience, going out on dates with your spouse. Without constantly shoveling yogurt into a waiting, demanding mouth, or fetching ever growing amounts of milk, you actually have time to chat. I'd go so far as to say we've even had entire conversations... conversations that didn't center around "poopy" or Superman. I was as shocked as you are, believe me.

As some of you may remember, Denver Mom went to France last summer, leaving Chunk and I at home alone and completely unsupervised. It was a rousing success for all involved, but Denver Mom had such a great time that she wants to go back. Only this time, she thought that it would be nice if we could join her. I mentioned this to an acquaintance who immediately urged us to leave Chunk at home, while I starred at him, jaw hanging open. Granted, I can see how a twelve hour flight wouldn't be much fun with a two year old, but on the other hand, I can't really see leaving him at home with Grandma for two weeks either. As I explained to this acquaintance, we had Chunk because we actually want to spend time with him. However, having said all of that, I'm learning to appreciate time away from him. I'm learning that a cup of coffee and a roll at the local coffee shop, while he's at home with mom, is a necessity for good mental health and even improves my enjoyment of him. I've said it before on this site, but better people make better parents, and part of being a better person is getting time for yourself.

Time for your marriage, on the other hand, hasn't gotten the same attention from us. Denver Mom gets away to paint and draw. I get time away to worship the dark lord, as he demands, and occasionally get a cup of coffee, but we don't often get time away together. And, now that we are taking the time, it's a little weird. Weird, but great. Denver Mom talks about her art, about some of the blocks she's feeling and trying to overcome with the whole oils vs. watercolors thing. I tell her about Mario Bros. and the blocks I hit with my head, when I push "A" again and again. So, as you can tell, it's all very mature conversation.

This has all been going on at various restaurants throughout the city, restaurants that have been on the "we should go there sometime" list since before we became parents. Some of the restaurants have been great, some kind of disappointing, and one so pompous and irritating that it was the most fun I've had in months.

I usually like to end posts like this with some twist, some sarcastic turn on the previous paragraphs, but I've got nothing. Like I said, it's just weird to suddenly be dating your spouse. Why is that so weird? And, how long before she figures out I really am a massive doofus?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would start dating my wife again, but she might dump me.