Thursday, August 02, 2007

The Morning After

He does it on purpose. I don't have proof, but I just know this is all a part of some devious, even nefarious, scheme of his, no doubt concocted with his little tribe of preschool friends. They're all in on it, you see, plotting, scheming, with their Crayola-etched blueprints and plans, their apple juice box models diagraming precise locations, potential escape routes, maybe the location of the “nilla wafers.”

Yesterday was board meeting day for me, which combined with the mentally ill hour I try to get into the office (no later than six thirty in the morning, thankyouverymuch), made for a fourteen hour work day. That's fourteen and a half hours, if you want to get technical, followed by a ride home on my bike... yes, in the rain. It's a common saying in Colorado that if you don't like the weather, just wait fifteen minutes, and something else will come along. It's an exaggeration, of course, but not much of one. Except for last night, when Colorado was apparently doing a dress rehearsal for the part of Seattle, making my commute home a bit more soaked than usual.

But, it's not something I was going to complain about. No siree, I got in a good, productive day and from my vantage point, it was all downhill from there. No, not on my bike. That's all uphill for the trip home. Love that. I meant the work week was all downhill from that point on.

I came home to a family already sleeping, so tiptoeing through the dark, I crawled into bed for a well deserved night of rest and... those of you who are parents know where I'm going with this... only to have a night of screaming and crying.

Chunk, of course, was sick.

Denver Mom didn't feel much better. So, right after I got home, she took some sort of cold medicine and slipped into a drug-induced coma that an atomic bomb test couldn't disturb, leaving me as the sole parent to handle that special two-hour mambo that requires water, comforting, and back-rubs at precise times throughout the night, or... I don't know... the world itself will end.

Does anyone want a two-year old? He's slightly used and has more miles on him than you'd expect, but he's built like a tank, is cute as hell, and knows the names of the entire Justice League of America.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Declan had that crud last weekend, and I caught the cold as a result. So you can keep your germs, thankyouverymuch. :)

At least the rain meant no watering flowers last night!

Get well soon.

Creative-Type Dad said...

I was going to pass, but seeing that he does know the ENTIRE Justice League of America...

Maria said...

Ah...all those memories of sitting on the edge of the bathtub with the door shut and hot water running to help break up Liv's coughing fits. She sounded like a seal barking and every now and then would vomit up some lovely slimey yellow junk.

I would sit there, patting in a semi- conscious state, feeling my hair go limp from the steam and every bone in my body aching for my bed.

Yeah. Good times.Good times!

Anonymous said...

I feel for ya. I am the stay at home parent...but because DH works those early hours as well and has to drive a pretty good ways...I am the one up all night sick or not. I know the feeling when all you want to do it go to bed.

I don't need another 2yr old thanks...I am thinking of giving away the one I already have therefore I don't want a replacement.

:-)

Lainey-Paney said...

Sorry Denver Dad.

Poor Chunk & Denver Mommy.

p-man said...

I have one already, thanks.