Thursday, August 02, 2007

Thomas The Tank Engine Is Trying To Kill Your Kids

I always found Thomas the Tank Engine a little... weird. I mean, sure, he's the cheeky one... says so in the song and everything, but he's got some serious self-esteem issues. If Sir Topham Hatt isn't praising him every day and calling him "useful," Thomas spins off into this whole self-worth death spiral. I don't know if I want my son learning lessons from a steam engine that clearly needs a good therapist.

On top of that, Thomas and his pals are also horribly poisonous. Not in that wanting "Nothing... but a GOOD TIME" way, but in that "coated in lead paint, asbestos, and deadly asps" kind of way. Check it out.

I would have mentioned this earlier, but this came up during my month of ne'er-do-well-ness and so I wasn't really posting.

The good news? The company managing the recall seems really sincere. I mailed off all of Chunk's affected toys and got an e-mail back saying they're working on it. I don't know what that means exactly, except that my son cries whenever the subject comes up, but they're on it and I guess that's good.

All joking aside, I don't have to tell any of you that lead paint is a bad thing for little minds. If your son or daughter is a fan of the Thomas wooden train sets, check the recall. Like many things, it's better to be safe than sorry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea...Thomas is C R E E P Y. He has a few Thomas toys, but we don't watch Thomas because he creeps me out.

Thankfully babyhead doesn't have any of the recalled Thomas toys.

However there is also an issue with Dora and Diego toys from Fisher Price (you can go to the FP website and check out the recall list as I don't remember exactly) for led paint as well. It isn't just Dora and Diego, it is a few other toys as well...again babyhead was lucky enough to not have those ones that are recalled.

Maria said...

Liv was never into Thomas. She was a big Bob the Builder fan. She also liked the Wiggles. I could not stand the Wiggles. They all just seemed to be so into talking in these loud, affected voices.....:) I used to watch this show with her at 8 in the morning and seriously feel that I could not get through the day if they did not SHUT THE HELL UP!

Now, she likes Hannah Montana and she is almost worse. The acting on this show is so terrible that I find myself staring at her and wondering what her life would be like if her dad wasn't Billy Ray Cyrus....

Of course, Liv also likes the food channel, which is fine by me as long as I'm not expected to whip up any of that stuff....

Dad Stuff said...

Neither of our kids were too interested in the Thomas show. They both like to play with the Thomas train set, that they set out at Barnes and Noble though.

Ironically, my friends and I used to watch Thomas in college. It shows a little differently with beer.

Unknown said...

See, now, I loved (love) the Wiggles. But Thomas always weirded me out. So I was glad Declan never got into him. Thus, no lead paint toys to return. Whew.

Lainey-Paney said...

Okay...so all of these parents are talking about ALL of these toys that are on the list. I must have the most maltreated child in the world with no freakin' toys b/c we don't own a single one of those toys!

...lucky for me, I have nothing to worry about, complain about, nothing to return...

...but it kind of makes me feel like---hey: you didn't buy your kid any of these popular things that EVERYBODY else's kid had. Bad mommy, bad!
Now go buy something coated in lead to make up for it!