Thursday, March 22, 2007

Daddy Owwie?

Last year, around this same time, I had this this crazy thirst. Every night, from dinner time until bedtime, I drank glass after glass of water, but nothing seemed to help. I just couldn't get enough water in me.

A friend of mine with diabetes suggested I get tested, so I went in and had some blood tests done. I didn't have a sitter, so Chunk accompanied me, and surprised me with a very well developed bedside manner for a one year old (at the time).

The same thing happened again. I've been completely parched, night after night, so the doctor had me come in again to give more blood. Everything looks fine. Strangely, the doctor thinks it might be allergies, but after seeing the doc I went to pick up Chunk from grandma's place.

"Daddy owwie?" he asked, very seriously, as he pointed at my bandage. It was practically the first thing he said to me, when I walked in the door.

"Yep, daddy has an owwie, but it's a little one. It'll be okay."

He leaned over and kissed my arm.

I love my son.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow. This is when we know we did the right thing, having kid(s) and all.

Seriously, I'm in tears!

Dad Stuff said...

Those little ones don't miss a thing do they. Those caring moments sure lift your spirits don't they?

Maria said...

What was your blood sugar number? I'm asking because I have type 1 diabetes....

The Real Mother Hen said...

Many Asians will view this condition (thirsty at night) as being having too much "wind" and the qi isn't balanced. Try this: get some ginger root from the grocery store, clean, cut, boil them with just water, and drink just a cup at night (better if it is really spicy, but if it is too spicy for you, add just a bit of honey or brown sugar)... continue for a few nights. It's cheap and harmless, and really, no harm trying...

Denver Dad said...

Sarah... Oh, you softie! :)

Dad Stuff... Thanks for dropping by and posting a comment. I appreciate every new reader that wanders in here. And yes, they certainly do lift your spirits!

Maria... My doctor assures me that my levels are good, although I'm not sure I could recount the values. I appreciate your concern, though.

Mother Hen... So, you're saying I'm full of hot air?!? Hahaha. Well, I guess you wouldn't be the first person to say that! :) Interesting idea about the ginger tea. I may try that! Thanks!

Radioactive Tori said...

Kids are so sweet!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I have a bandage on my arm right now - using a batman bandaid actually, courtesy of my son. He noticed it right away and says "boo boo". It's soooo cute!!